I am a Graduate with a Bachelor's Degree and I want to...
become a Family Home Child Care Owner / Licensee

A Family Home Child Care Owner/Licensee is a person who obtains a license from the Department of Early Learning to offer ongoing care for one or more children in their own home. The Family Home Child Care Owner/Licensee must plan children's curriculum based on child development knowledge, design the learning environment, implement and supervise developmentally appropriate learning activities, build positive relationships with children, plan guidance strategies for children, involve parents, and honor differences. View DEL Licensing site for more information: http://www.del.wa.gov/laws/rules/licensing.aspx


Must meet the following qualifications:

  • 18 years of age
  • meet minimum education requirements by having health and safety certificates required by WAC
  • complete Child Care Basics prior to working unsupervised with children
  • register¬†with the Department of Early Learning MERIT system
  • education may include one of the following or higher: GED, Verified high school diploma, WA State Initial ECE Certificate, valid CDA, rated level 3 or higher in Early Achievers, OR Verified 45 credits of post-secondary education

Educational Pathways

Find Degree Options