I am a Teaching Assistant in a Center / Family Home and I want to...
become a Family Home Child Care Owner / Licensee

A Family Home Child Care Owner/Licensee is a person who obtains a license from the Department of Children, Youth, and Families to offer ongoing care for one or more children in their own home. The Family Home Child Care Owner/Licensee must plan children's curriculum based on child development knowledge, design the learning environment, implement and supervise developmentally appropriate learning activities, build positive relationships with children, plan guidance strategies for children, involve parents, and honor differences. View DCYF Professional Development page for more information: https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/services/earlylearning-profdev/early-learning-provider

Hiring Requirements:

  • 18 years of age 
  • High school Diploma

Training Requirements: 

Need to be completed before license is issued. 

  • Completed Child Care Basics
  • Completed all renewable health and safety training
    • First Aid
    • CPR
    • Bloodborne Pathogens 
    • Food Handlers (if serving snack and meals to children)
    • Safe Sleep (if applicable)

Full Education Requirements:

  • Initial Certificate (within 5 years of hire)
  • Short Certificate (within 2 years of completing Initial Certificate)

Educational Pathways

Find Degree Options